BOATING ACCIDENTS IN FLORIDA
Florida is a touristy state due its numerous theme parks, lakes, Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico, miles of beautiful beaches, and great climate. Since it is surrounded by water and has hundreds of lakes, people come from far places to enjoy sailing, fishing, diving, or just cruising around on a boat or wave runner.
But with all of these fun activities, they present an element of danger as well. Things start to get serious when you read the amount of deaths that occur from boating and wave runner related accidents. It makes Florida one of the worst states in the country, with Palm Beach County ranking 4th in the state, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
In 2018, there were more than 628 boat collisions in Florida.
Common causes for sailing or boat accidents:
These are the following main causes of accidents in water-operated vehicles that we have identified:
- Operator failing to maintain a proper outlook or neglectfulness, resulting in collision with fixed objects or another boat
- Falling overboard (Capsizing)
- Boat mechanical failure
Of the 59 reported fatalities in 2018 due to boat accidents, 49% were caused by drowning and 34% due to traumas such as fractures, lacerations, contusions and head injuries resulting from the accident.
Here are ways that you can help avoid or reduce the severity of an accident:
- Having the right equipment, such as a lifejackets (for every passenger), rope, flares, VHF marine radio, charged cell phone, and a properly working anchor.
- Never sail under the influence of alcohol or any other drug or substance.
- Check your engines and the boat for any leaks, cracks, or smell of fumes.
- Check the weather before going out.
- Let someone know what your boating plans are before you go.
- Operate your boat safely and responsibly, paying attention to all signs, regulations, other boaters and people in the water.
- Take a boating course
Palm Beach County Boating / Wave Runner Accident Lawyer.
If you or somebody you know has been involved in a boating, sailing, wave runner, or jet ski accident resulting in injury, contact my office.
For a free consultation, call 1-800-FLA-LAWYER (352-5299)
You will not owe any costs or attorney fees unless and until a recovery is made on your behalf.
*The Florida fish and wildlife Conservation Commission report in 2018. (https://myfwc.com/boating/safety-education/accidents/)