Spring break is around the corner which means that there will be a lot more people and activities on our coast. Sun bathing and water sports such as fishing, jet skiing, and boating are important recreational activities for Floridians and tourists alike. According to the 2019 Boating Accidents Statistical Report, Florida led the nation with a total of 723 boating accidents in 2019. The Sunshine state has long been a haven for boating enthusiasts. Unfortunately, there are times when a regular day on the waterways can turn tragic in a blink of an eye. This is where an experienced boating accident attorney can help you.
COMMON CAUSES OF BOATING ACCIDENTS
According to the Florida Fish And Wildlife Conservation Commission, the most common types of boating accidents are:
- Alcohol Consumption: When it comes to drinking alcohol, the same rules that apply to the roadways also apply to the waterways. Drinking while boating is illegal and dangerous.
- Inexperienced Operator: Boats are fun and seem relatively easy to operate; however, they are not as easy as they may seem. Navigating a boat over rough waters can be challenging.
- Collisions: Out of the 723 boating accidents that occured in 2019, collisions with other vessels was the leading type of accident with a total of 205 (28%).
- Hazardous Waters: There are times when the weather and water current can change rapidly. It is important for boaters to check the weather before jumping aboard a vessel.
- Submerged Objects: A lot of accidents are caused by vessels running over unseen debris, rocks, and waterway markers.
Can I Get Compensated for my Injuries?
If you’ve been injured in a boating accident and the operator of the vessel was negligent, you may be able to bring a personal injury lawsuit against the operator of the vessel. Another scenario where you may be able to collect compensation for your injuries is if you rented a defective watercraft and got injured due to the defect. Contact a boating accident lawyer in order to recover compensation for your injuries. Such compensation may include:
- Payment of medical bills
- Payment of lost wages and earning capacity
- Payment for physical pain and suffering
- Payment for emotional pain and suffering
- Payment for property damage
Call a Boating Accident Lawyer Now
Boats and watercrafts are fast, fun, and they are a great way to spend time with friends and family. However, they can also be dangerous because they lack the structural shell and protection that other vehicles provide. Moreover, Florida has the highest amount of boating accidents in the nation. Individuals injured in a boating accident should contact a personal injury attorney to investigate the facts and build a claim. The Law Offices Of Shannon J Sagan can help you look over the cause of the accident to determine if there were any violations. Contact the Law office Shannon Sagan today at 1-800-Fla-Lawyer (352-5299).